Approved Curriculum

Our MTO approved curriculum, the “Brisa on Wheels” ( A Breeze on Wheels) program has been developed by two of Ontario’s leading road safety educators, Ben Estrada, hence the Spanish sounding program name, and Keith Black.

An engaging and easy to follow program, Brisa on Wheels is the choice of 50+ driving schools across Ontario. This program is centred around a 240+ page full colour text/workbook combination that is supplied to each student to study, to take notes in and complete assignments and quizzes. Accompanying the text are videos, Power Point slides, and magnetic whiteboard presentations, all aimed at generating discussion of various driving scenarios . Participation through discussion and questions is encouraged, as this BDE program focuses on the decisions which individuals must make to stay safe on the road. At Joe’s Driving Academy, we believe in teaching Proactive Driving techniques, how to use one’s eyes effectively to perceive hazards as they develop, how to make accurate judgements and decisions about vehicle positioning and speed to avoid dangerous situations, and finally how to control the driving environment and stay safe.

Certified Instructors

To become a qualified driving instructor in Ontario, the Ministry of Transportation requires successful completion of the approved MTO driving instructor course.  All instructors at Joe’s Driving Academy have been certified by the Ontario Safety League and have many years of teaching experience.


Q)  Can I take my Driver Ed. before I turn 16, or if I don’t yet have my G1 license?

A)  You may enrol and do the in class before you turn 16, but you may not drive until you have your G1 licence. You must complete driver ed within one year of your first in class lesson.

Q)  Will I get a certificate when I complete my Driver Ed?

A)  Driving schools no longer issue driver education certificates, your course completion info will be uploaded directly to the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) computer system. You will need nothing in writing to book a road test, it will be in their computer files. For insurance purposes, you will have to purchase a Driver License History at Service Ontario and present this to your insurer for a possible insurance discount.

Q)  How do I get freeway driving experience if I can’t drive on the freeway?

A)  You may drive on the freeway with a licensed driving instructor.

Q)  What car can I use for a road test?

A)  Vehicles are not supplied by Drive test, for road tests. If you have a vehicle at home that you are used to, we suggest you use that, it will save you money.  If you don’t have access to a suitable vehicle we can supply a car for your road test, for a reasonable fee, with some notice.

Q)  How should I choose an approved driving school?

A)  My advice is to contact at least 3 different driving schools and compare prices, course completion times, and training offered by each. You should also ask some of your friends about their experiences doing Driver Ed.  Your driver education experience should be enjoyable, informative and affordable.  Check the MTO link for approved schools.

Q)  Where can I find out about car insurance?

A)  You should check out the Insurance Bureau of Canada link on our web page, most of what you’ll need to know will be found there.

Q)  How do I get my Ontario Driver Licence?

A)  You should check out the MTO and Drive test links on our web page.  If you have other questions you can call me anytime, (leave a message) or use the contact (email) link to ask for further info.